I recently sat down with Managing Partner Mark Breuker to learn about his recent switch to an electric-only vehicle. See what I learned in the interview below!
- Amanda P (AP): Thank you Mark for sitting down with me today to talk about your recent switch to an electric car! What type of car did you recently purchase?
- Mark B (MB): I purchased a Leaf S (the base model) in December 2014.
- AP: Why did you decide to purchase a Leaf?
- MB: The lease on my Maxima was expiring, and I heard about the “free car” opportunity with Tax Credits and leasing of a Leaf…I loved the economics so I test drove and loved the car.
- AP: Were there any special rates or incentives that you received?
- MB: Since I decided to purchase my Leaf, I received a Georgia Tax Credit of $5,000 and Federal Tax Credit of $7,500.
- AP: Wow that is great! So, how do you charge up your Leaf every day?
- MB: I initially tried plugging into the socket at 120V, but that takes FOREVER to charge…so after a day or two of that, I decided to install a 220V charger in my garage. That made a HUGE difference.
- AP: Have you made any other changes in your daily life to accommodate the Leaf charging?
- MB: I investigated and switched to the EV rate on Georgia Power, which provides really cheap power from 11pm to 7am…which is when I do 90% of the charging now. I have also installed a smart Ecobee tstat to control HVAC according to my rate schedule ($100 rebate as well) and have started the family on being aware of peak pricing from 2-7pm weekdays to shift things like the pool pump, laundry, etc.
- AP: What are the advantages to driving a Leaf?
- MB: The main advantage is every morning that I leave for work I have a full tank of gas! I never have to go to the gas station. It definitely saves money-I calculated my cost to drive is about 1.5 cents per mile…compared to about 12 cents per mile for a typical gas powered car. It has just enough range to get me to the airport and back, which is typically my longest drive.
- AP: That must be nice having your car fully powered up every morning! What else do you enjoy about driving a Leaf?
- MB: It has a lot of pick-up with an electric motor…very responsive…and the hatchback gives it great hauling capability for a “little” car.
- AP: How much money do you think you are saving per month now that you are driving a Leaf?
- MB: I’d estimate I am saving around $200/month on what I previously spent on gasoline. I didn’t drive a ton of miles before, but was filling up my gas tank at least once a week.
- AP: Is there anything else you would like to add or say?
- MB: I love it…but it’s probably best as a 2nd family car rather than your only car if you make any extended trips…unless you are willing to rent one.
- AP: Thank you again Mark for your time today!
- MB: Absolutely! I enjoy telling others about my Leaf 🙂
This is Part 2 of our new Green Around the Office Series! Stay tuned for more posts related to sustainable actions Burton employees are taking to reduce their impact on the environment!
Click here to read Part 1-Recycling Refresher!
Click here to read Part 3-Composting with K-Cups!